Sunday, November 9, 2008

Home Sweet Home

This weekend hasn't been as physically busy as it has been mentally busy. I checked out all of the fashion illustration, pattern-making, and sewing books I could find in the Metropolitan Library System, no joke.

It's been almost 5 years since I graduated from school for Fashion Design. I still miss the long cork top tables, the industry sewing machines, endless aisle of dress forms, and sewing supplies and notions as far as the eye can see. I miss my croquis, pattern blocks, and functioning sewing machine. I left those in San Diego during my 4 month stint as a vintage upcycle designer years ago.

Basically I miss a lot of things, badly. And I worry that my time spent in the wholesale and retail industry for 6 years was a mistake. Not a complete mistake... Because if I wanted to open a store right now, I'd have a pretty good idea of what I was getting myself into and have a good list of contacts. BUT... it's not my time to open a store, it's my time to design a collection, making the previous experience feel like a bust. I wish I had done like so many of my peers had done - sew until their fingers felt like they were going to fall off and not stop until someone noticed. Except that I don't think anyone's ever noticed.

I just wish I had kept utilizing my pattern-making and illustration skills. I feel like I have to reeducate myself. I do miss learning, though, so this isn't the worst thing that could happen.
And if all goes well, I'll know where to begin in getting the line manufactured... I hope.

So this weekend wasn't tragic, but it was thought-provoking to say the least and it was a major kick in the pants.
I did visit the Girlie Show on Friday with Ryan, as well. This is kind of where the stress sneaked in. Although I didn't see any apparel or accessory lines reminiscent of the designs I've been imagining, it still made me feel like I should already be to the point of a completed collection with the public already at the point of accessing it. Talk about jumping the gun. The second I think of something to make - design - create, I already feel like I should be further along. And it doesn't help when I go somewhere where people are selling their wares, ahead of the game. But it was exciting to see, nonetheless. And I am very happy for my friends who had a success that evening.

On another note, Ryan and I are renovating our home and have been for a few months now. We are down to picking the color of the paint and the walls and installing the new floors in the kitchen and dining room. Not much is left!

Here are a couple of cool colors for kitchen walls that I saw on apartmenttherapy.com.
While posting my apparel design inspirations, I feel compelled to also show my interior design inspirations. Any and all suggestions are welcome!




Love always,
Kelli

No comments: