Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Life at Twenty-Six

Five things I'm learning at twenty-six that will make twenty-seven even better:

1. It is what it is.

There's only so much that I can do, make, and say. I have no control over outside influences. I can only control myself. This can also be filed under, "I yam what I yam."

2. Keep your professional life, professional, and your personal life, personal.

I guess you could say that I am not, so much, following this to a "T", seeing as how I have a blog and a Twitter... But, I guess those are "personal" and I've kept them pretty "personal". Okay, so what I really mean, is that I have found peace in my profession by keeping it strictly business. When you mix feelings with deadlines, it's sort of like oil and water. And feelings don't pay bills, deadlines do.

3. While on the topic, If you can't bring your home to your work, then should you bring your work to your home?

This is obviously more of a question, than a lesson. But, I'm really trying to figure this one out. I'm about as indecisive as it gets when it comes to this sort of thing. I hate leaving work in the middle of a project, but I really value my time at home. Most of the time, it boils down to, "Is this really worth it?" and/or "Can it wait until the next morning?" When I figure this one out, I'll let you know...

4. Look under your nose. Also known as, If it had been a snake, it would have bitten your ass.

This so far has applied to finding true love, what could possibly be my true calling, and true happiness. I have to say that I sure am one lucky twenty-six year old and my ass is officially bitten. Some times you just have to stop trying to control everything, fix everything, and figure it all out. When you absolutely let go, you can truly let it all in. And it's wonderful.

5. Put it down, turn it off, tune it out.

Taking the internet option off of my phone was one of my best and most favorite decisions of 2009. You can have your iPhone, I'll keep my text and talk only cellular device, thank you very much! Oh ya, and deciding to not open my own business, just yet, at least. I feel lucky for every single minute I spend with my boyfriend, friends, and family, and I feel it's important to not only tell them how much they matter but, more importantly, to show them. Putting the phone down, turning off the computer, and muting the television are easy ways to put the focus back on what matters.

Any wisdom to share? Any life lessons? I'm all ears (eyes, really)! I seem to have a thing for lists, I've noticed. Maybe I'll write a book one day...

1 comment:

the Surly Girlie said...

I heart the new attitude, and as an "elder" I can attest to the fact that it will serve you well!